Kyrkhult Farmhouse

​The Kyrkhult farmhouse (Kyrkhultsstugan) from Blekinge was one of the first houses Artur Hazelius moved to Skansen.

The Kyrkhult farmhouse (Kyrkhultsstugan) comes from Blekinge where it served as a dwelling house on a farm. Other buildings such as the stable, cowshed and threshing barn no longer exist. The little garden with beehives and flowers that existed at the original location has been recreated in front of the house.

The building is probably 18th century. It consists of a low, ridged cottage with two adjoining two-storey storehouses. This type of house has existed in Sweden since the middle ages. 

The cottage provided the actual living quarters. Within there is a large stove with a hearth and a bread oven. Attached to this is a cast-iron stove for heating that was also fired from the main stove. The roof windows are a further old-fashioned detail, a relic from the time when the smoke hole was the only source of light. The cottage has three small windows. It is furnished in a style from the middle of the 19th century and is decorated for a party with painted and woven hangings on the walls. Only on festive occasions was the long table used as a dining table. Normally people ate at a smaller table, a so-called table-chair that could function either as a chair or a table. Among the furniture are some of the three-legged chairs that were so typical of Blekinge. These were very practical when one remem-bers how uneven the old earth floors were but they survived even when wooden floors became the norm.

A beam is suspended between the corner where the stove is and the south wall and this indicates the boundary between the kitchen and the living area. A baby-chair is suspended close to the heating stove.

In front of the stove there is a “stick holder” which provided additional light when the family gathered round the stove on dark evenings. Dry pieces of birch were stuck into the holder. As they burnt, pieces fell off into a bucket on the floor.

From a porch one enters the left storehouse in which the entire back wall is occupied by a large, built-in twin bed. Along the other walls there are decorated chests. On the ground floor the right storehouse is divided into a hall and a weaving room. The upper floors to both of the stores were used for storing grain.


1870-1913

Up