Gubbhyllan - the historical building

Gubbhyllan lies at the foot of the Skansen escalator. It was erected in 1816 on Djurgården and served principally as a summer residence until 1852 when it was acquired by a pastry cook called Wilhelm Davidson. He opened a Swiss café there selling cakes and aperitifs. In 1872 the so-called Parisian saloon was added, named on account of the French wallpaper depicting the story och Amor and Psyche.

He opened a Swiss café there selling cakes and aperitifs. In 1872 the so-called Parisian saloon was added, named on account of the French wallpaper depicting the story och Amor and Psyche. 

The Skittle Alley (Kägelbanan) to the side of Gubbhyllan is a copy. Skittles were very popular in Sweden during the nineteenth century. It was common for pubs, inns, factories and country houses to have their own skittle alleys.

The Garden Pavilion (Trädgårdspaviljongen) by the Skit­tle Alley was moved to Skansen from central Stockholm where it was erected in 1879. The framework is of cast-iron with transomed windows and the building is ten metres long and two and a half metres wide. 


The Gubbhyllan area


1870-1913


Buildings & workshops A - Z

Up